Monday 22 April 2013

Sumptuous Pork Knuckle at Brotzeit German Bier Bar and Restaurant


German style pork knuckle fried and roasted to perfection

Although I try to cut down on oily food, there are certain dishes that I still take once in a while as I find them really hard to resist! For instance, one of my favorite dishes is the really fatty Chinese style braised pork knuckle. For me, this is a comfort dish that I go for every now and then when I am in a particularly greedy mood.

So imagine my delight when I was introduced to the German style pork knuckle just a couple of days ago! We waited a good 15 to 20 minutes for the dish to be brought to our table although the restaurant was not busy. Having had some experience in cooking recently, I can confidently said that the pork knuckle at Brotzeit German Bier Bar and Restaurant was not an easy dish to prepare. The dish probably needs to be both roasted and fried, in order to make sure the hugh chunks of meat on the pork knuckle are fully cooked. Here are some pictures of the dish:

The dish comes with several sides including sauerkraut, mash potatoes, lettuce and pickles
Pouring sauce over the pork knuckle
The meat tasted really good when ate together with the sides
Yummy! All ready to tuck in!
At first bite, the crunchy skin of the pork knuckle reminded me of the Chinese style roast pork. The difference is, the skin is MUCH more crispy and we can hear every bite we took! I also liked the fact that unlike the Chinese style roast pork, the meat is less salty. Given the humongous size of the pork knuckle in its full glory, we think that it is quite an achievement on the part of the chef to cook the meat so that it is still quite soft and tender. According to the waitress, the dish is for a maximum of 2 people, but we believe that the pork knuckle is big enough for at least 3, unless we are talking about really big eaters! Bernard and I managed to finish the whole pork knuckle, with some leftovers of the side dishes. Personally, I find that the pork tasted better when matched with the sauerkraut (i.e. finely cut fermented cabbage), as the sourness in the sauerkraut helps to neutralize the strong aftertaste of the meat. All in all, the pork knuckle is very tasty although we are unlikely to have another one in the near future!

And here were some pictures of the restaurant and my outfit of the day:

Bar area at Brotzeit German Bier Bar and Restaurant

A photo of me at the bar counter
Main entrance to Brotzeit German Bier Bar and Restaurant
Wearing  Monochrome Stripe Dress (a gift from my sister), sunglasses from Japan and Studded Bucket Bag coming to Lace And Buttons soon!


The Studded Bucket Bag comes with a gold chain strap as well!

The Star Vista, Singapore
1 Vista Exchange Green
The Star Vista, #02-11,
Singapore 138617

t : (65) 66943652
e : info@brotzeit.co
w : http://brotzeit.co/TheStarVista


No comments:

Post a Comment