Wednesday 3 October 2012

Tribal Prints in Fashion - My Experience

I was twelve years old when I visited Yunan, China for the first time. Apart from the picturesque scenes, what stuck in my memory the most is the beautiful head gear and costume of the "White" tribe of Dali, Yunan Province:

Bai woman wearing a colourful traditional Bai costume. Image from westheimphoto.com

I remember feeling really excited about having the opportunity to wear the Bai costume in one of the tourist attractions (can't remember the actual place but I have an impression that it might be the Kunming World Butterflies Garden). As a teenager, I am already very passionate about fashion, even when it comes to traditional costumes. I love the vibrant colors and exquisite embroidery on these costumes as they are really attractive in my opinion. In fact, I think these decorative embellishments really made the costumes come "alive"!

Recently, I became familiar with African prints as it is the ongoing and raging trend in fashion now. Unlike Chinese tribal prints or embellishments which focuses more on a woman's femininity and beauty (as reflected by the use of extensive floral decorations), African prints are more quirky, bold, and even unorthodox. It is really amazing how designers managed to use this genre of prints in casual everyday wear, as the "loud" nature of African prints are found more commonly in party or beach wear. Kudos to the designers behind this inspiration!

To end off, let me introduce some of the African print everyday apparels that my online store is currently carrying:



 Gorgeous aren't they? Hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I do :)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment